Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.2.0-1

Greetings, Nicholas Clark!

> You're certainly right that there are nicer ways to write that script.
> My point with the sample script above is that I'm currently using a
> Windows-style HOME path, and it works fine.

If it would stop working, you'll have to o and revisit your mess to pull the
cruft out of the pipes.

> Chances are there are a bunch of other users out there who also use a
> Windows-style HOME path in messy .bat files - I just wanted to
> illuminate that making Windows paths illegal is likely to break a
> whole bunch of users' scripts, and really offers no benefit.

Chances are, they can go and revisit their mess once in a lifetime.
When 1.7.35 came out, I went and dug up every corner of my system to make sure
I no longer have the need for wrappers like yours.

Recently I started to write portable scripts for my private project and I've
replaced Cygwin's /bin/sh (which is in fact bash) with a symlink to /bin/dash.
We'll see how far I can go with it. Already found a number of scripts that
break under strict POSIX shell. None of them Cygwin scripts. Yet.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...