Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.2.0-1

Warren Young writes:
> When you speak of this in terms of processes, I think you mean that
> the Cygwin DLL would need to filter the environment, which sounds
> heavy-handed.

Cygwin DLL already does some conversions of the Windows environment.  It
could (hypothetically) do a more thorough job and/or sanitize the
environment to make the result more POSIX conformant.

Try defining some Wnidows environment variables that have illegal POSIX
names, for instance.

> If you mean that /etc/profile and such will do the filtering, that could work.
>
>> 2. Do the same checks as the Cygwin DLL and fall back to some more sensible
>> default if HOME is botched.
>
> This isnât a second option, itâs an implementation design for option 1.

That's the part that involves me changing base-files.

>> 3. Ignore the issue.
>
> Hereâs an interesting experiment to try on your non-Cygwin POSIX boxes:
>
>     $ HOME=/dfjkshkds bash -l
>     $ echo $HOME
>
> Guess what it prints.
>
> Hint: It isnât the second-to-last field in /etc/passwd. :)
>

> Spoiler: Apparently Cygwin is already doing the standard thing.

That's why I offered to ignore the issue.  That also needs nothing to be
done by me, which is an added benefit.  :-)

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: