Re: TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.1.0-0.4

On Jul  8 13:39, Warren Young wrote:
> On Jul 5, 2015, at 3:34 PM, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> > ...RLIMIT_STACK...RLIM_INFINITY.
>
> This should fix the Emacs crash you reference later in this message
> without rebuilding Emacs, right?
>
> Iâm not an Emacs user, as you know, but is there an STC for the
> Emacsizens to try on their systems?

As Ken wrote.

> > - New API sigaltstack, plus definitions for SA_ONSTACK, SS_ONSTACK, SS_DISABLE,
> >  MINSIGSTKSZ, SIGSTKSZ.
>
> Since these were entirely missing before, this canât be tested without
> rebuilding software, right?  When rebuilt, existing Cygwin packages
> may discover the new APIs via autoconf or similar.
> [...]
> So, is it simply the case that the only people who will care to test
> this are those who already know theyâre trying to call this, and need
> it to work?

Kind of, yes.  The relevant snippet from the announcements:

2.1.0-0.1 - 2.1.0-0.3:

  This test release is mostly for interested *developers*.

2.1.0-0.4 - 2.1.0-0.5:

  While the changes are still mostly interesting for developers, the
  under-the-hood changes will potentially impact existing applications.

But note the latter.  These under-the-hood changes which affect existing
applications are:

- Changes to how getrlimit(RLIMIT_STACK) works and how pthread stacks
  are set up now.  The general effect is that pthreads will have bigger
  default stacks now, 2 rather than 1 Meg, unless the application
  developer or maintainer handled the pthread stacksizes explicitely.

- Child stack allocation after fork has been rearranged and partially
  rewritten.  This is new code at the core of how fork works.  This,
  of course, affects all existing applications using the fork call.

> > - New API: sethostname.
>
> For what itâs worth, that gave a pretty similar result set: lots of
> OSes and low-level infrastructure, few user-space packages.

Yes, but it was easy to implemement and another API which may help
building packages without having to tweak them for Cygwin:
https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2015-q2/msg00076.html

> > - Enable non-SA_RESTART behaviour on threads other than main thread.
> >  Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-06/msg00260.html
>
> Nice fix for an obscure problem.
>
> And thanks for providing references, so that those like me who didnât
> pay attention to the original thread can catch up and see why we care
> about these fixes. :)

No worries,
Corinna

Red Hat