Re: mintty system integration before release

On Jun 27 17:59, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 27.06.2015 um 16:50 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> >On Jun 27 15:27, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>Before a mintty release, I'd like to check Windows console issues with
> >>mintty in Windows 10,
> >>see https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/439
> >>As I don't have Windows 10, maybe someone can help out testing;
> >>there is some kind of resource magic which I'm not familiar with (and I
> >>remember it's been discussed here in some context); there is a file res.mft
> >>in mintty with these 2 lines:
> >>       <supportedOS Id="{e2011457-1546-43c5-a5fe-008deee3d3f0}"/> <!-- Vista
> >>-->
> >>       <supportedOS Id="{35138b9a-5d96-4fbd-8e2d-a2440225f93a}"/> <!-- 7 -->
> >>and I have a vague idea that specific lines should be added to facilitate
> >>seamless integration with Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.
> >>Which lines could that be?
> >   $ strings /usr/lib/default-manifest.o
> >
> >If that's all there is to mintty's manifest, you can remove it and
> >just build mintty without explicit manifest.
> Well, there is also a res.rc without which mintty loses its Options menu.
> And it does not compile without the res.mft, so I guess it's needed.

In that case, yes.

> >In that case GCC will apply /usr/lib/default-manifest.o to the executable.
> >
> >Did you see my mail to you from 2015-06-23?
> Yes, and I wonder how my response got lost :/
> I was remotely aware of that mailing list and had no plan to resurrect it
> (unless you would convince me it's worth it);
> I think it's sufficient for this project to have one of issue tracker or
> mailing list/forum, not both. And an issue tracker has the valuable
> advantage that you can close issues...

Mailing lists allow discussing stuff before formally requesting
something via issue tracker.  E.g, user problems can be both, a user
just having a thinko or a bug.  ML discussions help to find out and
avoid spurious issues in the issue tracker.  Also, many people happily
report bugs on mailing lists but don't want to be bothered with
issue trackers which you have to login to.

Corinna

Red Hat