Re: Cygwin: vim causes bash to die

On 06/01/2015 12:30 PM, John Marsh wrote:
On 05/31/2015 02:32 PM, John Marsh wrote:

Issue: vim causes bash to die

Windows Event Viewer (Application Error)

Faulting application name: conhost.exe, version: 6.1.7601.18839, time
stamp:
0x553e7baa
Faulting module name: conhost.exe, version: 6.1.7601.18839, time stamp:
0x553e7baa
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000234df
Faulting process id: 0x2254
Faulting application start time: 0x01d09bc9f5b48b51 Faulting
application path: C:\Windows\system32\conhost.exe Faulting module
path: C:\Windows\system32\conhost.exe Report Id:
50014a1e-07be-11e5-b4f2-fc1aad7fabda

Is there a fix for this?

Sorry, I can't reproduce this from a bash started in cmd.exe or mintty.exe.
Based on the Windows Event Viewer information above, it's actually the
Windows console (conhost) that's crashing.  Perhaps it would better for you
if you ran it from mintty?  If you want to submit a complete problem report
that describes the steps to reproduce the problem, that may throw some light
on the problem.  With the exception of me running on Windows 8 and you
Windows 7, I don't see a significant difference in configuration.

Thanks for looking into this Larry.

You have to run vim several times in the same terminal for the fault to
occur.  I launch bash from a desktop shortcut, and it appears to be using
the conhost process.  My bash terminal is configured with white background
and black text, and vim is configured with a light background.  I've been
using cygwin since it first came out, and I've always launched bash and vim
this way, and never seen this problem before.  In fact I have another
Windows 7 computer with an older version of cygwin that works fine.  So it
seems that a bug has been introduced along the line.  I'm wondering if it
has something to to with the ongoing terminal issues I've seen discussed in
the mailing list.

I would like to submit a detailed problem report.  How is this done?

Thanks again,
John

I think what you've provided previously and with the description above is
pretty complete now.  The problem is I can't reproduce it (tried 10 times
in a row from the Windows console) and it's apparently not a real common
issue as yours is the first report we've seen.  Here's some other
suggestions for you to try to see if it helps you avoid the issue you're
seeing:

  1. Try running vim from mintty instead of the Windows console.
  2. Try upgrading to the latest vim (a new one was just released).
  3. Try running 'rebase-trigger all' and then re-running 'setup.exe'.  See
     if that changes the vim behavior.

--
Larry