Re: Cygwin fork:retry error

Gerry Reno writes:
> I've been struggling with this fork:retry issue for over a month and have yet to find a working solution.
>
> The machines are Windows 7 64-bit with Cygwin 32-bit installation.
> I run Setup and then install some bash scripts for the user.
> Only some of the machines appear to be having this fork:retry problem.
> And even reinstalling Cygwin does not appear to fix the problem.

That's the hallmark of BLODA.

> Error:
>
>     /etc/profile: fork: retry: Resource temporarily unavailable
>      1 [main] bash 3236 child_info_fork::abort: C:\Cygwin\bin\cyggcc_s-1.dll: loaded to different address:
>     parent(0x370000) != child(0x2B0000)

These very low addresses again point to BLODA.

> I've tried completely eliminating every trace of Cygwin I can find on the machine and then reinstalling Cygwin but the
> error persists.

It's very likely not caused by Cygwin, so this route isn't even starting
to address the issue.

> I've tried the rebaseall commands listed in a number of posts.  Again, the error persists.

BLODA.

> What's interesting is that if I try rebooting one of these machines numerous times eventually the scripts will work
> without this fork:retry error.

BLODA.

> But if you reboot the machine again most likely the fork:retry error will reappear.
> It's almost like there is some race condition involved.

BLODA.

> Any help here greatly appreciated.

Check if you have any real-time virus scanner activated and except the
Cygwin installation tree from being acted on if possible.  And since
it's not likely you can just deactivate the virus scanner for production
machines, at the very least you need to ensure that you don't have _two_
of them active on the machine (this would produce extremely "funny"
behaviour) and the one that is active is configured the same on all of
them.

Regards,
Achim.