Re: tar zxvf won't work with Redhat generated compressed tar file

Murthy Gandikota wrote:
Hi All

I am using Cygwin64. I am getting a file from RedHat in tar + zip format. Currently I am able to unzip it and untar it in 2 steps as follows:

$gunzip mytar.gz
$tar xvf mytar

However, I would like to do the following:

$tar -zxvf mytar.gz

The error message I see is:

tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Can someone please  tell me what is the right way?

Thanks

One way to get this error if you download the file through a gzipping proxy web-server. So you have to drop the 'z' when unzipping.

Daniel