RE: Is it possible to display English phonetic alphabet in Mintty?

Rexdf sent the following at Monday, April 20, 2015 9:59 AM
>David Macek sent the following at Monday, April 20, 2015 9:47 AM
>>> I have a dictionary in cygwin. It cannot display the phonetic alphabet
>>> well.
>>
>> What are your LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_* variables? I see boxes when I set
>> LANG="en_US", but not when I set LANG="en_US.UTF-8" or empty LANG.
>
>My LANG is zh_CN.UTF-8@cjknarrow.
>
>The mail list or gmail change my phonetic alphabet to something strange.
>copy it from http://www.bing.com/dict/search?q=diverge
>
>paste it into notpad.exe, it display very well. And mintty cannot.

The problem may be with Lucida Console.  Try Courier New.

I pasted the text into MS Word and changed the font for the entire line
to Lucida Console.  Looking at the font character by character, almost
all the characters had been switched to Courier New.  Only one was
Lucida Console.  Interesting, several did say what font they were.

I interpret that as meaning that when Lucida Console doesn't have a
glyph, Word substitutes Courier New.

I hope that helps,

- Barry