More about permissions

Dear Cygwin community --

Along with some others, I've been struggling a little to accommodate
the changes to permissions handling that came lately.  I think I about
have it figured out to work mostly Unix-like within my cygwin tree,
but have one remaining thing I am wondering about, even though I have
been through the ntsec document more than once.  (I think everyone
will admit that this is complicated :-) ...)

- I have created a new group, that I call Cygwin, to be the typical
  group of cygwin-related files, so that I can control group permissions
  appropriately. I am a member of that group.

- I have found that if a directory is chmod to 2755 (2000 == set gid)
  and the directory's group is Cygwin, then cygwin-created files in
  the directory get group Cygwin.  (This was not necessarily happening
  before.)  To get this to happen, I had to list the sid of the Cygwin
  group as my group in my line of the /etc/passwd file.  Otherwise the
  group would be me, which does not seem to allow the same differentiation
  of user versus group permissions.

- I could not find an explanation of the 'mask' list by getfacl.  Near
  as I can tell it is not really settable, although setfacl does not
  complain, and it is the OR of the permissions of the various groups.

Now, to what I would like to do.  Ideally I want SYSTEM to have rwx
access to everything.  Seems a generally good idea on Windows, and at
least r permission on files and rx on directories is needed for my
backup program to access things.

But if I get group:SYSTEM:rwx and default:group:SYSTEM:rwx, then ls
always lists rwx for the group part of any such file, and chmod, if
applied, affects SYSTEM's access bits.  What I'd like is for SYSTEM's
role here to be hidden.  If there are any files where I want to restrict
SYSTEM, I can use Windows tools or setfacl to manipulate them.

Is this simply not possible with the new scheme?

Regards -- Eliot Moss