Re: "cannot create hard link X to Y: Operation not permitted" on ext2fsd-mounted ext2 drive from cygwin cp -al

On Mar 26 08:53, Kevin Field wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> This is a cross-post from SuperUser.com .  If you're a StackExchange member
> please feel free to answer it at http://superuser.com/questions/894015/cannot-create-hard-link-x-to-y-operation-not-permitted-on-ext2-drive-from-cyg
>
> In one comment you'll see there, someone has proposed that cygwin will only
> try NTFS hardlinks, even if the mounted drive is ext2 via ext2fsd.  Maybe
> someone here could confirm that, or if it's not true...help me find a
> solution :)  Thanks, -Kev
>
> -------------------
>
> /cygdrive/d/ is a USB hard disk formatted as ext2 and mounted with
> [ext2fsd][1].
>
> When I try `cp -al /cygdrive/d/X /cygdrive/d/Y` where X is a file, I get the
> error in the title.
>
> Things I've Tried/Verified
> ---
>
> I did `chmod -R 777 /cygdrive/d` but I still get the same result.
>
> I am running as local administrator, who is the owner of /cygdrive/d.
>
> X is a file, not a directory.
>
> Windows Server 2012 R2 running cygwin64 current as of today.
>
> It's ext2 because I can, for example, `touch
> /cygdrive/d/filename_with_a_colon:in_it` and it works and I can see it with
> `ls`.  Not to mention, it says so in ext2fsd and the Windows Disk Manager.
>
> Ironically, the same syntax on an NTFS drive works fine and creates an NTFS
> hardlink.
>
> I've also tried reformatting the drive as ext3, with the same results. I
> *had* figured on ext2 being more likely to be fully supported on account of
> it being older than ext3/4, but I guess it doesn't make a difference.
>
> The question
> --
>
> How can I create simple ext2 hardlinks with cygwin?

Does ext2fsd support creating hardlinks?  The reason I'm asking is that
Cygwin does not create hardlinks out of the blue.  It certainly doesn't
communicate with a driver directly.  It just calls the underlying system
call NtSetInformationFile(FileLinkInformation).  If that doesn't work,
neither Cygwin nor any other Windows applications have a chance to
create a hardlink.

Alternatively, does the CMD.exe `mklink /h' call work?  If so, ext2fsd
requires another set of flags to create hardlinks than NTFS, apparently.

Corinna

Red Hat