Re: X11Forward and xauth problems

On 3/23/2015 2:06 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
On 23/03/2015 20:48, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
Normally I just turn on -X (or put X11Forward yes in ~/.ssh/config) but
that usually results in a noticeable delay in logging in and the
following error:

Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not
generated
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
forwarding.

Firstly, if you don't want these warnings, use ssh -Y.

(By using ssh -X, you are asking for something which the X server can't
give you, hence the warnings.  See
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-trusted-untrusted-x11-forwarding
for more details)

Yeah but -Y gives me the same thing:

Adefaria-lt:ssh -Y cm-app-ldev01
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
/usr/bin/xauth: unable to link authority file /home/adefaria/.Xauthority, use /home/adefaria/.Xauthority-n
Cm-app-ldev01:

/usr/bin/xauth:  unable to link authority file
/home/adefaria/.Xauthority, use /home/adefaria/.Xauthority-n
Cm-app-ldev01:

I've asked about this in the past and I think the answer was that the
message was correct but you shouldn't worry about it. If it didn't slow

I'm sorry, I only have a vague memory of this discussion.

me down I probably would just ignore it. But it slows me down. So I ssh
instead without X11Forward turned on then, when I need to run an X
client, I do export DISPLAY=adefaria-lt:0 and make sure that I did an
xhost + there at least once. But now that's broken!

Adefaria-lt:xhost +
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
Adefaria-lt:ssh cm-app-ldev01
Cm-app-ldev01:export DISPLAY=adefaria-lt:0
Cm-app-ldev01:xclock
Error: Can't open display: adefaria-lt:0
Cm-app-ldev01:

If you want this to work, you will now (since X server 1.17) need to
start the server with the option '-listen tcp'.

Restarted Xwin with -multimonitor and -listen tcp. Now I get:

Adefaria-lt:ssh -Y cm-app-ldev01
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
/usr/bin/xauth: unable to link authority file /home/adefaria/.Xauthority, use /home/adefaria/.Xauthority-n
Cm-app-ldev01:echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0
Cm-app-ldev01:xclock
Error: Can't open display: localhost:10.0
Cm-app-ldev01:

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/2015-02/msg00026.html
[2]
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html#using-remote-apps-telnet