Re: who is root? (or /usr/bin/sshd fails to start because of /var/log ownership)

On Mar 17 10:10, Mirko Vukovic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A few weeks ago, sshd stopped working after a cygwin64 update.  I
> reinstalled cygwin64 (because of the new user and password handling, I
> figured that to be easiest).
>
> I still cannot get sshd to run.  I get an error message:
> >/usr/sbin/sshd.exe -d
> debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_6.7, OpenSSL 1.0.1k 8 Jan 2015
> debug1: private host key: #0 type 1 RSA
> debug1: private host key: #1 type 2 DSA
> debug1: private host key: #2 type 3 ECDSA
> debug1: private host key: #3 type 4 ED25519
> /var/empty must be owned by root and not group or world-writable.
>
> Here is what /var/empty looks like (I obfuscated the machine name part)
> >ls -lrd /var/empty
> drw-------+ 1 XXXXXXXXXX+cyg_server Administrators 0 Feb 25 09:41 /var/empty/
>
> There is no root user on my machine.  Should I create it?

No.  The "must be owned by root" in sshd is the original upstream error
message.  The test leading to the message on the other hand is tweaked
for Cygwin to test if the /var/empty file is owned by the user running
sshd.  So, if you run sshd from the command line, it refuses to run if
/var/empty isn't owned by your current user account.  If you're running
sshd as service from the XXXXXXXXXX+cyg_server account, /var/empty must
be owned by the XXXXXXXXXX+cyg_server account.

Does that help?

Corinna

Red Hat