Re: Cygwin/X : display error with latest x-related packages

On 12/03/2015 15:18, xflr6 wrote:
I recently experienced a problem with a program using the X window system.
With the latest Cygwin release, the latter program is not able to open the display,
whereas with previous versions of cygwin (+ the x-window machinery, i.e
the Cygwin/X installation as described in the installation notes, with xlaunch,
xinit, xorg-server etc.) (prior to mid-February 2015), it was working correctly.
Other programs using the X window system, such as ghostview for example,
is working correctly on my installation.
I have seen on the Cygwin/X news that X server and X.Org X11 packages
have been upgraded to newer versions, and I was wondering if there was
a known loss of backward compatibility with these fresh versions (even a
simple change, like in the DISPLAY variable or something like that) ?

Unfortunately, you are rather vague about what program you are running and where you are running it, so I can only guess, but there are two recent changes which might be the cause of your problems.

1. If the program is running on a remote host and you are trying to connect over TCP (rather than using ssh tunnelling, the recommended way to do that) you will now need to start the server with the option '-listen tcp'.

2. If you are running the program locally and explicitly setting the DISPLAY variable yourself, you should be setting it to ":0.0" not "localhost:0.0" or "127.0.0.1:0.0" or "::1:0.0" (to avoid trying to use a TCP connection)

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/2015-02/msg00026.html
[2] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html#using-remote-apps-telnet [3] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-remote-clients-cant-connect
[4] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2015-02/msg00051.html

--