Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.35-0.4

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> I'm still a bit confused by the results.  What "delays" are we looking
> at if they are not attributable to LDAP?  Are they "expected" delays
> or is that something which is new now?

The echo test can be used as a baseline that is most likely dominated by
LDAP responses (not entirely, since there will be a bunch of file
lookups in there as well from the bash to the home drive, which in my
case is remote).  The git tests on the other hand look up, stat and read
a bunch of files on top of that and that data needs to take the full
roundtrip several times.  I've addded those because they are more
representative for my usual workload.

> If it's new, is there a simple testcase we can use for further
> debugging, preferredly one with a single executable showing a certain,
> debuggable behaviour.  This should ideally start with an strace to
> isolate the problem, and then we can look further.

I don't think there is a new problem.  A few things are interesting
(like that one network share that somehow makes the cygserver case
slower), but I don't have anything in hand that would permit debugging
and it will be hard to isolate it down to Cygwin anyway since there is
quite a bit of Windows code involved in all that.

In any case, it looks like the behaviour over long latency links is
about back to where it was before LDAP integration at least when one
uses cygserver for caching.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: