Re: slow startup after upgrade

Hi Roger,

On Feb 16 20:02, Roger Orr wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > So I'd think the best way forward is to update to the
> > 1.7.35-0.1 test release and report further from there.
>
> Thanks, this does help a little. However I will still be using the 'files'
> setting.
>
> Here are some results in case they're of interest. (Windows 7/64 with
> cygwin/64.)
>
> 1) Running cygwin "echo.exe" from a cmd.exe command shell
>
> a) With passwd: files and group: files in /etc/nsswitch.conf
>   0.03 - 0.4 s
>
> b) With 1.7.34 and default /etc/nsswitch.conf
>
>   around 120s
>
> C) With 1.7.35 and default /etc/nsswitch.conf
>
>   4.4 - 4.6s

I rewrote the function responsible for the slow startup, the one
fetching all the group information for the groups in your user token.

As I just wrote in my mail to Dennis Hagarty, the performance improvement
should be noticable, even with /etc/nsswitch.conf only using the "db"
setting for groups.  The group info for a user token with 150 groups was
fetched in ~50 ms rather than the ~300ms of the former code.

Can you test this again with the Cygwin DLL from the latest developer
snaphshot at https://cygwin.com/snapshots/ please?

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat