Re: ca-legacy not bourne-compatible

On 02/09/2015 11:25 AM, David Boyce wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 7:45 AM, Eric Blake <eblake@redhat.com> wrote:
>> For now, but I may move to dash someday in the future, like Debian did.
>
> By âIâ are you referring to a personal decision at your site or do you
> mean you may exert your influence to get the default Cygwin /bin/sh
> switched to dash?

I mean that I package both bash and dash for cygwin, so it is fairly
easy for me as packager to make the switch for all users of future
cygwin downloads.  What is less easy is getting agreement on cygwin-apps
that it is the right time to make such a switch, as it may affect other
packages that don't realize they are shipping with non-sh-compatible
/bin/sh scripts (although thanks to Debian's efforts, this is a lot
better now than it used to be).  Don't worry, I wouldn't do it without a
reasonable lead-up time for experimental testing and appropriate
consensus.  But there ARE benefits to switching /bin/sh to dash: as it
loads fewer shared libraries and has less code bloat, it executes and
forks a lot faster, and since forking is noticeably slow on cygwin,
anything we can do to make non-interactive scripts faster is probably
worth it.