Re: Question about package version number

On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 15:03 +0800, ééä wrote:
>   I have made package for HIDAPI [1], and here is the cygport:
>
> --------
> CROSS_HOST="x86_64-w64-mingw32"
> inherit cross

While I'm not against adding libraries to the mingw64 toolchains -- in
fact, I have a number of them in Ports -- is that really your intention?
Would this library be usable from within Cygwin?

> NAME="mingw64-x86_64-libhidapi0.8"

>From looking at the upstream sources, this is not parallel-installable
with other versions of hidapi, so this should be just
"mingw64-x86_64-hidapi".

> VERSION=master

This is wrong; VERSION must at least start with a numerical component.

> RELEASE=1
> CATEGORY="Libs"

IMO cross-compiler libraries should go into Devel, but I suppose that's
debatable.

> SUMMARY="USB library"

This should be more specific, particularly if you are intending it to be
used with the mingw64 toolchain.

> DESCRIPTION="C Library for USB/Bluetooth HID device access from Linux,
> Mac OS X, FreeBSD, and Windows."
> HOMEPAGE="http://www.signal11.us/oss/hidapi/";
> SRC_URI="https://github.com/signal11/hidapi/downloads/hidapi-${VERSION}.zip";
> SRC_DIR="hidapi-${VERSION}"
> --------
>
>   The package is made against the git head, but I can only download
> the tarball as hidapi-master.zip.
>
>   What VERSION should I use here? The libhidapi package on Ubuntu is
> marked as 0.8.0-rc1 [2], should I follow this convention?

0.8.0-rc1 is the latest tag ("release") in git, so if you want that:

VERSION=0.8.0-rc1
SRC_URI="https://github.com/signal11/hidapi/archive/hidapi-${VERSION}/hidapi-hidapi-${VERSION}.tar.gz
SRC_DIR="hidapi-hidapi-${VERSION}"

However, there have been several changes in git since then, so you may
want to include the Windows-relevant ones by adding:

PATCH_URI="
https://github.com/signal11/hidapi/commit/627f3aa478e8099e3660d6a429f1584eeca0724c.patch
https://github.com/signal11/hidapi/commit/171a521b91add62c19343100df62b15ecd8f3216.patch
https://github.com/signal11/hidapi/commit/54eb31dc16dcc67d0b689ed947bc53a038608c0e.patch