RE: Calling man from nonexistent directory cause fatal error

> From: Andrey Repin
>
> I was doing some cleanup, and accidentally left Cygwin terminal hanging in
> directory I've since deleted.
> When trying to reference bash manual from there, the thing all went down
in
> flames of
>
> $ man bash
> man: can't change directory to '/home/anrdaemon/1': Permission denied
> man: command exited with status 255: (cd /home/anrdaemon/1 && LESS=-
> ix8RmPm Manual page bash(1) ?ltline %lt?L/%L.:byte %bB?s/%s..?e (END):?pB
> %pB\%.. (press h for help or q to quit)$PM Manual page bash(1) ?ltline
> %lt?L/%L.:byte %bB?s/%s..?e (END):?pB %pB\%.. (press h for help or q to
quit)$
> MAN_PN=bash(1) less -s)
>
> Is this expected behavior? Why it is trying to chdir anywhere, anyway?
> I can reproduce this from both local and remote filesystems.

I imagine that Cygwin is trying to put the child processes in the same
working directory which no longer exists.  On a real *NIX the directory
would not have actually been deleted until the last process had released its
connections to the directory.  That doesn't happen on Windows.  The only fix
I can think is for Cygwin to hold open the directory of the CWD but that has
other side effects such as not being able to delete the directory.

--
cyg Simple