Re: Failure in merging win-env vars into post-'login'...

On Jan 16 16:42, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Jan 16 01:43, Linda Walsh wrote:
> >>
> >>Prior to this, when I logged on using local credentials, I would have a
> >>blank hostname.  I.e. -- using 'X11'  as an example, when I log in
> >>locally, I see no hostname in my shell-prompt.
> >>But when I log in to another system, then my path is prefixed with the
> >>hostname.
> >>
> >>So... why did I need the local hostname with a "+"??
> >
> >  Does https://cygwin.com/preliminary-ntsec.html answer that question?
> ---
> 	Not entirely.  But don't know that it is related to the problem
> I'm seeing.

It is related to the '+' sign you're seeing in the group names.  That's
explained in the document.

> As it is only being applied to locally created groups, I'm
> not going to worry about it too much (i.e. it doesn't interfere with my
> samba-3.6.28-winbind credentials, and more interested in why it didn't
> look at "/.rhosts" in my home directory.).

It seems your home dir is different for some reason.  What does your
/etc/nsswitch.conf look like (if you have one)?  What does

  getent passwd <your username>

print in a local mintty session, and what does it print in a remote
session via rlogin?  Why on earth are you still using rlogin anyway
instead of ssh?

> It *looks*, at this point that my userid isn't being passed from inetd to
> rlogind
> so it can read the ".rhosts" file in my WIN-HOME (USERPROFILE or
> HOMEDRIVE:\HOMEPATH).

Your userid is bound to you token's SID.  For accessing .rhosts the
home dir in your passwd entry must match.

Corinna

Red Hat