Re: Stack Dump Message

On 16 January 2015 at 06:30, Ameen Sayegh wrote:
> hello there,

> Here is the issue:
> abort function produces the output
>     "Aborted (core dumped)"
> when I run the program on cygwin terminal while it produce
>     " 0 [main] test 1904 cygwin_exception::open_stackdumpfile: Dumping
> stack trace to test.exe.stackdump"
> when I run it on Windows CMD or Windows Explorer. Why is that? and Can
> I change it to the first format?

When a cygwin program encounters a fatal error, it attempts to call a
debugging program. It identifies the program to run by examining the
CYGWIN environment variable. See
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html for details on
setting CYGWIN, especially the error_start option.

My setting for CYGWIN is ( in bash: env | grep CYGWIN )

CYGWIN=error_start=d:\\cygwin64\\bin\\dumper.exe

You can set this in the cygwin.bat file in the cygwin root directory using

set CYGWIN=error_start=d:\cygwin64\bin\dumper.exe

Or, if you use mintty or start cygwin programs from explorer or icons
or random command windows, you must set CYGWIN in the
Computer->Properties ; Advanced System Settings -> Environment
Variables (or search options in later versions of windows). Add a user
or system variable for CYGWIN with the content

 error_start=d:\cygwin64\bin\dumper.exe

Replace "d:\cygwin64" to be the root of your cygwin install instead of
mine. Note that you must use "\bin" instead of "\usr\bin" as this is a
windows path that does not know about cygwin mounts.

BTW, if you remove the "error_start" setting from the CYGWIN variable,
your programs will not create a stackdump, and will exit more quietly.

Doug