Re: ps questions

On Dec 18, 2014, at 10:11 AM, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> The <defunct> information is fetched from the process itself.  This
> requires a living, valid Cygwin process, so the info isn't available for
> Windows processes.

On a Unix/Linux system, a process is marked <defunct> when the kernel knows it has died, but its parent hasn’t called wait(2) or similar yet, so the kernel keeps info about the process around with the expectation that this call will come later.

So, you’re saying that Cygwin doesn’t do something similar?

If it did, it would be able to distinguish between dead Cygwin processes and dead native processes.  “I didn’t start that one, so I will mark it <dead> instead of <defunct>,” kind of thing.