Re: OpenSSL as Base package

Greetings, Yaakov Selkowitz!

>>> The openssl package comes with two perl scripts. The dependency
>>> gets added automatically.
>>
>> That's a reoccurring issue with dependency walker. Perhaps, we need a way to
>> tell it to not include specific packages as a dependency, if we know it would
>> be a mistake to do so? Rather than manually fix it again, and again, and...

> Those dependencies are correct; perl scripts require perl to run, and if
> you pretend to ignore the dependency, then we end up with complaints
> that the scripts won't run.  *That* would be a mistake.

>> These Perl scripts are nonessential for OpenSSL functionality, and not
>> required to be used, unless you have very specific needs.

> Fair enough.  In that case, the correct solution is to create a separate
> openssl-perl package with those (like Fedora does), and leave those
> outside of Base.

As Corinna mentioned, there's two scripts. One to manage hash cache of
certificates, and another to manage simple CA.
As far as I understand it, the CA script has two variants (shell and Perl),
the rehashing one only comes in Perl flavor, but it seems to be simple enough
task to convert it to shell. *making a note for myself*

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...