Re: Cygwin AD schema and configuration extensions (was Re: RFC: 1.7.33 problem with user's home directory)

On Nov 26 22:58, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov 26 22:28, Achim Gratz wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > > Ok, so we have a cygwin schema extension now.  The file is called
> > > cygwin.ldif and is in the Cygwin CVS repo.  It gets installed to
> > > /usr/share/cygwin.  The schema extension consists of two auxiliary
> > > classes:
> > [â]
> > > Do you think this makes sense?  Would you actually use these AD
> > > extensions, or do you see your admins using them if available?
> >
> > This is _very_ interesting and I hope to have some discussion with our
> > AD admins about this.  It will be some time though, there is just too
> > many other things going on right now.  But if they allow this to be
> > used, I think it would indeed be possible to get rid of all local
> > configuration for a new install on a client machine.
>
> It would be possible for sure.  The question is, would it be actually
> used?  In some environments, schema and configuration extensions are
> avoided like the plague.

Oh, btw. since you're mentioning this will take time... it will take
time from my side as well.  I'm not planning to implement reading fstab
and nsswitch contents from AD in 2014.

That's something for 2015, and it depends on you guys, either in helping
defining the layout of the AD configuration, or even helping coding:

Ideally, such a configuration extension requires a new tool for Admins.
It's not exactly feasible for an Admin to install and maintain the
configuration extension in ADSI Edit.

At least a CLI tool to install and maintain the settings would be
needed.  A GUI tool would be the hit.

Corinna

Red Hat