Re: occasional failure to look up

On Nov 18 14:50, Habermann, David (D) wrote:
> I am using the AD-enabled cygwin test versions (v33-0.5), with nsswitch.conf setting to "db" only.
>
> Occasionally when starting a cygwin terminal after a reboot I find that it get the following message:
>
> /usr/bin/id: cannot find the name for group ID 1125370
>
> Note that this is not a group ID, but instead is my uid.

Do you login with your Microsoft account?

In theory this shouldn't happen because in that case Cygwin converts the
primary group (set to the user's SID by the OS) to "Users" to avoid
having the same SID for user and group.

Is 1125370 your primary group id?  Can you please paste the output of
`id'?

OTOH, Windows doesn't care if the token's group list contains user SIDs
but, in theory, they should be filtered out by Cygwin.  But then again,
there should be no difference between system start and later calls.  Hmm.

Can you please paste the output of `id' and

  $ /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/whoami /user /groups /fo list

in your reply?

> Closing the terminal application and restarting it does not resolve
> the issue, as I get the same message again.
>
> Since I have several services (cygserver, sshd, cron, httpd2) all
> starting at boot-time, I suspect that when these are first connecting
> there is some kind of failure, which then gets cached.

Sounds like there's something with cygserver going wrong, but I have
not the faintest what that could be.

> The easiest
> way I've found to solve the problem is to shut down these services,[...]

Stopping the terminal and restarting cygserver is not sufficient?
Also, does this also happen if you don't start cygserver at all?

When the problem occurs, can you provide an strace from id?

  $ strace -o id.trace /usr/bin/id

The id.trace file would be interesting here.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat