Re: /usr/local, /var and */tmp in c:\Users\Public

On Nov 13, 2014, at 2:33 AM, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On Nov 12 17:19, Warren Young wrote:
>>
>> I’m not advocating that step so early, but maybe if this breakup does
>> happen, a few years later setup.exe can start applying some strong
>> ACLs to files it writes.
>
> ??? What "strong" ACLs?

The ones that are not there right now. :)

Just to pick a random example:

$ ls -l /bin/ls.exe
-rwxrwxr-x 1 Warren None 116253 Oct 13 10:12 /bin/ls.exe

The same file’s permissions, from Windows’ perspective:

http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/ls-perms.png

So, just because I installed Cygwin with my regular user account, I get permission to rewrite ls.exe.  This is not a good thing, if our goal is to make Cygwin work like Linux while working *within* the Windows environment.

IMHO, the way to meet both goals simultaneously is to put programs in c:\Program Files, and to give full-control perms to the local Administrator account in the SAM case, or possibly the domain one in the AD case.