Re: RFC: 1.7.33 problem with user's home directory

On Nov 11 18:29, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

> >> Use of AD implies some level of security consciousness.  The ability to write to c:\cygwin â not just during installation, but during all use thereafter! â comes out of a world where every user is a local Administrator.
> >>
> >> This answer I wrote on Stack Overflow is one way to solve the problem today:
> >>
> >>     http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26666180/
> >>
> >> It might not be a bad idea if Cygwin started doing this sort of thing by default in the future.  (Obviously for new installs only.)
>
> > What I gather from the replies so far is this:
>
> > - Nobody really cares for unixHomeDirectory.
>
> As I understand it from replies, it's not "nobody care", it's "this is wrong
> way of doing it".

It's not the wrong thing if it's not used for anything else in a
company.

> > Another:
>
> > 1. Add a setting to /etc/nsswitch.conf which allows to specify one of
> >   the above:
>
> >     home: [unix|win|home]...
>
> >    - "unix" means, set pw_dir to unixHomeDirectory
> >    - "win" means, set pw_dir to homeDirectory
> >    - "home" means, set pw_dir to /home/$USER
> >    - Multiple entries are possible.
> >    - Default in the absence of this setting is: always set pw_dir to
> >      /home/$USER.
>
> How about a slight modification to this?
>
> nsswitch.conf configurable settings:
> user: Use %AppData%/Cygwin%PLATFORM% (Separate directory for different
> platform Cygwins)

I really don't like this one.  Your naming scheme (user/system/cygwin)
has its merits, but I don't see that a home directory of any sort
belongs under AppData.

Corinna

Red Hat