Re: TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.33-0.7

On Nov  7 13:04, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> [...]

Yes.  Is there a way to accommodate that?  Maybe a postinstall script
checking for existing user cron files and renaming them if required?

The privileged user name shouldn't matter much after configuration.

> For now I have made the following changes to cron-config:
>   calling getent
>   checking if /etc/passwd exists
>   dealing with the extended names for privileged users (they may
>   contain a +, don't use EREs)

I just scanned it quickly, but the change looks good.

For all of this, apart from the Cygwin-internal stuff, I'm in the same
boat as anybody else.  I'm not entirely sure about all the consequences
this change will have, and we might all be missing something crucial
during the transition.

> Do you intend to keep mkpasswd/mkgroup ?

Yes.  It's still supposed to be used if somebody needs passwd entries
for some reason.  For the details, see the preliminary documentation
at https://cygwin.com/preliminary-ug/ntsec.html
and https://cygwin.com/preliminary-ug/using-utils.html#mkpasswd
and https://cygwin.com/preliminary-ug/using-utils.html#mkgroup.

Note also the discussion with Christian starting at

I have a potential patch in the loop which implements what I wrote here:

> I still don't have a 64 bit system, but it's coming this year. It will
> take me some time to prepare a new cron package and get familiar with
> the new package upload procedure.  I am attaching a cron-config diff.
> Feel free to update the 32 and 64 bit cron packages if you want that
> done quickly.  cronbug does not seem to require any changes.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat