Re: terminfo and /usr/share/terminfo requirement

cyg Simple writes:
> I wasn't asking for help; I have a working install.  I was stating the
> possibility of making Cygwin better.

You haven't made an argument in which way having /usr/share be a mount
point would be an improvement over the current situation where it is
simply a directory.

> Too bad that one cannot simply
> extract the archives and must depend on the blind use of setup.exe.

You can look at the source code for setup to learn exactly how it is
working.

I manually extract package archives all the time to install packages
from the build environment into a separate test installation.  The only
two mounts you need to provide are

$PREFIX/bin => $PREFIX/usr/bin
$PREFIX/lib => $PREFIX/usr/lib

just like setup.exe does.  You still cannot simply extract the archives
since you also need to take care about preremove and postinstall scripts
plus the housekeeping in $PREFIX/etc/setup/. BTW, as Andrew already said,
there is no /share in any of the packages, only /usr/share.  If you want
to do something else than setup.exe, you'd need to create your own
packages anyway.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: