Re: terminfo and /usr/share/terminfo requirement

On Nov  4 09:42, cyg Simple wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 4:29 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >> Are you saying setup or some post install file doesn't mount
> >> /usr/share?
> >
> > It's not necessary.  Setup-${arch}.exe creates the default directory
> > layout.
> >
> >> If a mounted /usr/share isn't important then why is
> >> /usr/bin and /usr/lib automounted?
> >
> > Two reasons:
> >
> > - Windows.
> >
> >   DLLs are found in the directory of the application even if $PATH
> >   doesn't point to the directory containing the DLL.  cygwin1.dll and
> >   all other cygwin DLLs are in the same path as the essential binaries
> >   so that you can start them from Windows even if $PATH is not set to
> >   contain Cygwin's /bin.  If we had separate /bin and /usr/bin dirs, we
> >   would have the essential binaries spread over two directories, but the
> >   cygwin DLLs in only one of them, or worse, spread over two dirs as
> >   well.  Hilarity ensues.
> >
> > - GCC.
> >
> >   GCC generates the path to certain files under the lib dir relative to
> >   the path it has been started from.  So, if you run /bin/gcc, it searches
> >   for the files under /lib, if you start /usr/bin/gcc it searches under
> >   /usr/lib.  Since you can do both, you have to handle lib just as bin.
> >
> > There was never a need to do that for any other directory, that's why
> > we don't have /sbin <=> /usr/sbin as Fedora.
>
> But /usr/share is used by the terminfo library to find the files that
> define TERM=cygwin or whatever value it has.  Without the mount of
> /usr/share then the terminal doesn't know how to handle things like
> the Backspace key when deleting characters.
>
> If /usr is mounted to the PREFIX/usr directory and PREFIX/usr/lib does
> not exist the issue becomes one of a confusing file or directory not
> found message.  My suggestion would be to automount /usr pointing to
> PREFIX/usr instead of adding another specific directory of /usr/share;
> one never knows when some other reason exists to have another one.  If
> that isn't acceptable at least add the /usr/share automount, please.
> It would eliminate the plethora of email and forum posts asking why
> the Backspace key doesn't work.

Nope.  The problem you're encountering is homemade.  /usr/share is a
normal directory just like /usr.  There's no reason at all to mount
anything there.  If your installation doesn't have /usr/share, your
installation is clearly broken and given that you didn't use setup
to install it, it's really just a case of PEBCAK.

Corinna

Red Hat