Re: cygwin rename util doesn't parse leading dash in expression argument correctly (thinks it is an option)

On 03/09/2014 23:17, Dat Head wrote:
On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Marco Atzeri <marco.atzeri@gmail.com> wrote:
On 02/09/2014 16:43, Dat Head wrote:

Cygwin 1.7.30-1

$ ls -l *-fixed.flac
-rw-r--r-- 1 foo None 0 Sep  1 13:47 a-fixed.flac
-rw-r--r-- 1 foo None 0 Sep  1 13:47 b-fixed.flac

$ rename '-fixed' '' *-fixed.flac
rename: unknown option -- f

you need to tell rename that the options are ended with --

$ rename -- '-fixed' '' *-fixed.flac

$ ls *flac
a.flac  b.flac

thanx for the tip, haven't had to use that since old days of  "startx
clientopts -- serveropts &"

but yet again I'm roped with having to wrap another case statement
around pieces of scripts for cygwin specific items (because the same
syntax of "rename --" doesn't work on redhat linux or another distro a
friend tried for me)

curious because it is the almost standard (gnu) solution in
 most of the utilities.
I guess it is included in most used option parser

touch, mv , cp, .. are all working in the same way.

Otherwise try to rename/move a file called "-v" ...
(without using "./-v" )

i'm not complaining, i love cygwin!

that is a quite old version of util-linux I wonder does anyone know
the factors involved in staying with that one? (everything else is
mostly so wonderfully almost bleeding edge [which I like!])

It is working and the maintainer sees no reason to change it ;-)

I don't think basic stuff needs to be changed a lot.

Regards
Marco