Re: New Git v2.0.4 build to test

On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 04:18:41PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug  6 11:21, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> > This build isn't final, but it does work in at least the mainline use
> > cases; I've been using it for a couple of days for my day-to-day work.
> > However there are still some problems I'm aware of (no `git grep -P`
> > support,
>
> Sounds like libpcre-devel is missing on your machine.

Agreed.  I've just spent a while playing whack-a-mole with problems of
this ilk and thought I'd try seeing if there where any willing
volunteers to do some live testing to spot problems the test suites miss
before I offer my builds to the unsuspecting public.

> > `git fetch` occasionally hangs in the test suites in 64-bit)
> > and there are probably some problems I haven't identified yet.
> >
> > I'm currently in the process of working through the Git test suite
> > output to identify missing features, since it's the best way I've found
> > to identify features the Git compile process has quietly skipped since a
> > required library wasn't installed.
>
> If the git build system uses autotools, you might have an easier time by
> scanning the config.log file created during the configure call.

It does, and doing that trawl picked up a number of missing libraries.
Nonetheless looking through the tests that are being skipped due to
missing dependencies is highlighting a few things like this that I
managed to miss when looking at the configure output.