problems with rlogind (from rsh-server package) on Windows 8

I'm having two main problems with rlogind (yes yes yes, I know)

The first problem is that I cannot get password-less logins working.  I *have* set up password-less command execution (ie. rsh localhost some_command, works great) but rlogind seems to insist on a password.  Odd given that they claim to use the same ruserok() code in libc...

The second problem is stranger.  If I, logged in as myself, open the cygwin terminal with "Run as administrator" and run the following commands:

	cygrunsrv --stop inetd
	cygrunsrv --start inetd

I can then "rlogin localhost", enter my password and everything is fine.
However, if I rlogin as another user, then I see this:

	georgn@work:~$ rsh win8-vm2 -l other
	Password:
	Last login: Thu Jul 10 14:02:51 from work.bitkeeper.com

	[cygwin banner elided...]

	-bash: /usr/bin/id: No such file or directory
	-bash: /usr/bin/hostname: No such file or directory
	-bash: /usr/bin/locale: No such file or directory
	-bash: /usr/bin/tzset: No such file or directory
	-bash: /usr/bin/id: No such file or directory

	other@win8-vm2 ~
	$

The root cause seems to be that the mount point for /usr/bin is not set up:

	$ mount
	C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
	C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

What magic controls the automatic mount points for /usr/bin, /usr/lib, etc?

I've repeated this on more than one machine (one Windows 8 and another running 8.1).

In both cases, I installed cygwin in the usual way only adding openssh, inetutils, rsh and rsh-server.
After install, I ran (in a cygwin window running as admin):

	ssh-host-config
	cygrunsrv --start sshd
	[test, seems to work]
	iu-config
	[edit inetd.conf]
	cygrunsrv --start inetd
	[test, partially works modulo problems described above]

Now, realizing that rsh and friends are about as popular as gregorian chants, I'm prepared to debug this myself...  so I re-run setup, ask for the sources for rsh-server and attempt to build.  No joy.  I'm probably doing it wrong but the maze of google provided suggestions is oh so twisty.  Is cygport supposed to work on this package?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

-g