Re: LPR output disappearing

Marco Atzeri <marco.atzeri@gmail.com> writes:

> On 01/07/2014 06:52, David Masterson wrote:
>> Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist@att.net> writes:

>>> GV isn't like your printer.  Your printer may react as intended if you
>>> were sending it Postscript because it may have the code inside to
>>> render PS for its print engine, but if you simply direct a PDF file to
>>> it, it's going to barf.
>>
>> What does Adobe Acrobat Reader under Windows?  As I mentioned, I can
>> print the file using Acrobat under Windows without a problem.
>>

> Acrobat -> printer driver -> printer
>
> Without the step in the middle, usually, garbage is expected;
> only exception is when sending a Postscript file to a Postscript printer.

Rephrasing the question -- where in that chain does the translation of
PDF to something the printer can print occur?  I'm pretty sure that this
printer (Dell A10) is not a Postscript printer, so the PDF is not being
translated into PS.  As I understand it, the job of the printer driver
is to forward the data sent by the application to the printer
(ie. manage the hardware).  Therefore, the translation of PDF to
something that the printer can print either occurs in the application
(ie. Acrobat or GV) or in the printer (unlikely).  What am I missing?

--
David Masterson
Programmer At Large