Re: timeout in LDAP access

On Jun 23 22:38, Denis Excoffier wrote:
> On 2014-06-23 11:09, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Jun 19 19:53, Denis Excoffier wrote:
> >
> > Do you really *want* to enumerate 500K users when accessing the DCs
> > remote over a slow DSL line?  Isn't this a situation in which you'd
> > rather like to avoid enumerating accounts or restrict it to an
> > essential subset?  That's what db_enum would be good for.
> IMHO the line is not especially slow. Instead, the
> server (and occasionally the client) is clobbered sometimes. For example it
> seems more difficult (ie timeout occurs more frequently) for a server
> to output the last sidâs in a domain than to output a full PageSize of
> results.
>
> Personally i donât *want* to use /etc/nsswitch.conf at all. What bothers me
> is that the user does not get any indication of a timeout (and several successive
> and unrelated timeouts may be met in a single invocation of getent). Therefore
> even if all servers are up, the user has no means to know that the list is exhaustive.
> If the timeout occurs for the last chunk this is not so important, but if
> the timeout occurs in the middle it may be. That is the difference between
> a large timeout and a timeout, say, too accurate.
> [...]
> >> 1) for most of the 100-sid chunks, the high timeout is not used, therefore
> >> the global penalty in delay is not so high. And perhaps a 120s timeout is high
> >> enough so that when it is met, we could abandon not only the current domain,
> >> but also the whole search?
> >
> > Would that be really a bright idea?  Assuming your ADs (and their DCs)
> > are in different remote locations,  One of those connections being down
> > would disable enumerating other domains.
> It would be a means to have getent 'depend' on a unique timeout.
> >
> >> 2) if value of timeout is not high enough (i have no figuresâ), timeout may
> >> occur when the PC is in fact occupied with other tasks (eg antivirus scanning
> >> or something else), unrelated to network delays or server latencies.

Stay tuned.  I'm rewriting the LDAP access code to perform all critical
LDAP calls in interruptible threads.  The Windows LDAP calls don't
provide any kind of synchronization, only timeouts.  I hoped to get away
with short timeouts but it seems I hoped in vain.

So the next iteration of this code will not use any timeout other than
the default LDAP network timeout of 2 minutes, but the calls will be
interruptible by signals.

I hope that fixes this the right way :}

Corinna

Red Hat