Re: Base 64-bit Cygwin now requires Perl?

On Jun 18 16:14, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
> Steven Penny wrote:
> >On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
> >>Because of this dependency line
> >
> >This issue is back again, now with
> >
> >man-db
> >   lynx
> >     perl
> >
> >OP
> >http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-08/msg00152.html
> >

> Yes, this is true, and my guess is that it will remain so.
>
> man-db depends on lynx, and that's not a dependency that is easily removed,
> even if I was inclined to try, which I'm not. It needs some sort of WWW
> browser. I don't think that can be disabled. It's not a configure option to
> do so, so it'd have to be handled through Cygwin specific patches to the
> source. I haven't looked into how difficult that would be yet. Perhaps it's
> not all that difficult. I'll take a glance when I get home.
>
> While the browser doesn't have to be lynx, that's probably the simplest one.
>
> lynx depends on perl. I'm not 100% sure this is a valid dependency. I don't
> notice that as a dependency on other systems. I think it comes from the fact
> that there's a sample perl script included in the installation.

I have no idea how the perl dep has been generated.  It only exists in
the 64 bit setup.hint and, yes, lynx does not actually depend on perl.

I removed the dependcy for now, so the indirect perl dependency of
man-db should be gone as soon as the change is propagated to the mirrors.

Corinna

Red Hat