Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: fossil 20140612172556-1 -- DVCS with built-in wiki, http server and issue tracker

>> CYGWIN INSTALLATION INFORMATION

I tried the new fossil binary for Cygwin, and got the following:
    $ fossil sqlite
    cygwin warning:
      MS-DOS style path detected: C:/fossil/fossil.fossil
      Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /cygdrive/c/fossil/fossil.fossil
      CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off
this warning.
      Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
        http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
    SQLite version 3.8.5 2014-06-04 14:06:34
    Enter ".help" for usage hints.
    sqlite> .databases
    seq  name             file
    ---  ---------------
    0    main             C:\fossil\fossil.fossil
    sqlite> .exit

Although this is harmless, people will ask why there are
windows path names visible anyway. This problem is
really in SQLite, and the problem is already reported to the
SQLite developers:
    <http://osdir.com/ml/sqlite-users/2014-02/msg00515.html>
Since SQLite's Cygwin support is at best-effort base, which
appears to be essentially almost 0, I have no idea when
this problem will addressed in the official SQLite sources.
It is already addressed in the Cygwin SQLite 3.8.5 package.

Therefore, I suggest to configure fossil with the option
"--disable-internal-sqlite". This has the side-effect that
the fossil binary will be smaller, since SQLite is no
longer linked statically. And some more - less
important - corner-cases will be fixed as well.
And it has the advantage that whenever a new
bug in SQLite is found (or SQLite 3.8.6 is released)
fossil can take advantage of it without being rebuilt.

While on it, the "--json" configuration option would
be a good idea too.

Many thanks, Jari, for your support!

Regards,
       Jan Nijtmans