Re: Building cpan module that links with proprietary libs

On 5/30/2014 1:01 AM, Csaba Raduly wrote:
On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 4:36 AM, Andrew DeFaria  wrote:
On 5/29/2014 6:42 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
As a
result, you will never get code compiled with g++ to link with these
libraries.  There is no common ABI among C++ compilers.  Thus, the
libraries
and headers of one can't be used as input to the compiler of another, even
on the same platform.  This only works for C code.  So you have to either
build the proprietary libs with Cygwin's C++ compiler or write your own
"shim" library that wraps the necessary calls and objects in a C API,
compile that with VS, and link your program against the APIs in your
library.

@Larry: Would this work? I think MSVC produces obj and lib files in
COFF; can Cygwin's toolchain understand that?

Being as this code is proprietary I doubt that Perforce will release it to
me to compile but I will point them at this thread...'

Maybe you can convince them to build a Cygwin version (not very likely).

I am in contact with Perforce about this. They think it's a wonderful idea and they fully want me to let them know when I've managed to accomplish this! ;-)

Needless to say, Cygwin, it's Perl and having a P4Perl available for it is not necessarily in Perforce's business model. Most people just use ActiveState. That said, with 5.18 I hear the backend moves to gcc and they need to address that issue. Once addressed having a Cygwin version may be easier for them to produce.

I, unfortunately, do not have a lot of time to dedicate to this as my client wants me to work on others things. Using Cygwin's Perl is a convenience for me but not a necessity, though I would love to have this working.
--
Andrew DeFaria
http://defaria.com