Re: Problem with "None" Group on Non-Domain Members

On May  5 09:49, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed this over the weekend. It's probably working as designed,
> however. And may have even been noticed by others before.
>
> As has been noted in the past, if your machine is not a Domain
> member, your account gets assigned to the "None" group. And it's
> your default group as well. The problem is that the "None" group
> isn't very well behaved when it comes to permissions.
>
> Example below.
>
> $ mkdir none-group-test
> $ cd none-group-test/
> $ touch foo
> $ ls -l foo
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 Chris None 0 May  5 09:35 foo
> $ chmod 600 foo
> $ ls -l foo
> -rw-rw---- 1 Chris None 0 May  5 09:35 foo
> $ chgrp Users foo
> $ chmod 600 foo
> $ ls -l foo
> -rw------- 1 Chris Users 0 May  5 09:35 foo

As far as Cygwin tools are concerned, the None group is just a normal
group like any other group.  The behaviour you're observing looks a bit
like either your group file is not ok, or you're testing this with the
noacl mount option.  Or, probably more likely, you're suffereing from
the default ACL settings propagated from the parent directory.

When Cygwin sets the POSIX permissions, it does exactly the same thing
for the primary group in your token, whether it's None or any other
group.

Corinna

Red Hat