Re: dos telnet.exe not showing up with cygwin "ls"

Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please <at> cygwin.com> writes:
>On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 03:35:28AM +0000, Andy wrote:
>>I'm using telnet to log in to my modem for certain actions that
>>can't be done via its web interface.  The thread at
>>http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-08/msg00124.html indicates that
>>telnet is normally in Inetutils, and if I don't see Inetutils when
>>running the cygwin Setup.exe,
>
> You aren't looking hard enough.  It's "inetutils" and it is
> included.
>
> You can see it here: http://cygwin.com/packages/

Boy, I feel like an idiot.  Thanks, Chris, for that reality check.

You can't imagine what I was thinking.  (I can't believe it either).  I
equated packages to the categories in the cygwin Setup GUI.  And I did do a
search for telnet in the cygwn packages search, but of course, millions of
hits came up.  Then, when I ran into the thread about inetutils, it didn't
occur to me to go back to search for it.

I actually muscled through the problem using the Windows telnet and manual
copy and paste from the DOS window.  So the problem was no longer current
when I originally posted.  However, I described the (solved) problem to head
off questions of why I was poking around with the Windows telnet.exe.

The real question (I should have emphasized this in my original post) is how
a file can be invisible to cygwin, but not to Windows explorer or the DOS
shell.  It's a general question that goes beyond telnet.  The fact that this
is possible is (I think) something to be aware of because it means that what
you see using bash could very well be a low fidelity reflection of what's in
the underlying Windows file system.  I mean low fidelity in a relative sense
-- it means there's one more way for what's seen via bash to differ from the
underlying Windows file system.