Re: We need steenking patches (Re: Cygwin kill utility...)

Steven Penny wrote:
On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:

Hey buddy, if you want to spend your days with ad hominem attacks that is your
business. The point of my emails was not my contributions, but Christopher's
complaining.

You know, I've read this whole thread. There's only been one person complaining in it and it's not cgf.

I admit that Christopher can be gruff at times. And I think that sometimes he has a bit of an attitude. But, honestly I don't blame him for that. Look at it from his perspective.

80% of the requests for assistance here are answered by one of two people. And this isn't their day job.

Not only that, most of these requests would be unnecessary if people bothered to do a little research before asking.

Most of the ones that don't fall in that category could be much more easily resolved if people followed the directions for submitting requests for assistance.

So, of course, cgf gets a little frustrated at times. He's answering the same questions over and over, and repeating the same requests for additional information over and over.

Then, on top of that, we get people who seem to expect paid for quality support and maintenance for something that's free and from those who are submitting their time for free.

Maybe you should just chill a bit, and before you start again with the holier-than-thou stuff, take some time to look at things from the other perspective.

Those who are in control of the project have admitted that CVS is limiting, and have it on their radar to update it and replace it. When will that happen? I don't know. Real Soon Now, I'm sure. But I'm sure it's not a trivial 10-minute job, and I bet a rather significant percentage of the time that Christopher can devote towards Cygwin in a given day is wasted dealing with the issues mentioned above.

Be patient. I've been using Cygwin since...well since before it was called Cygwin. I think even before it was called Cygwin32. It's come a long way, and in that time many people have managed to contribute patches. Will more do so when CVS is replaced? Maybe, but I imagine it will still mostly be the same people.

Give these people a break and realize the amount of effort they've put into this, and stop complaining yourself.

Oh, and as far as source control systems go, and submitting patches, I remember using RCS, and before that SCCS. Those worked fine for their time, and I submitted lots of patches using them, even one that made it into the BDS 4.3 Tahoe 'vi' code.

So, like Andy, pardon me if I'm not moved to tears by your difficulties submitting patches.

--
Chris J. Breisch