Re: We need steenking patches (Re: Cygwin kill utility...)

On 4/9/2014 08:55, Steven Penny wrote:
On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 12:51 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

I see now you have Stockholm Syndrome with CVS.

CVS sucks.  No new project should be started on CVS today.

HOWEVER:

If you think web code repository searching and a public bug tracker are primary barriers to contribution, you aren't being honest with yourself. They are nice, but not necessary.

Neither is it necessary to switch everything off of a custom CVS system onto Github in order for Cygwin to succeed. I give you proof by existence: ta daaa!

I say all of this as one who has expressed a wish for Cygwin to move to a better VCS at least once in the past; probably more than once. The need to use CVS did not stop me from contributing a few small patches over the years. It didn't even present a serious impediment. Further, I managed to escape the experience without any PTSD. <tic><tic>

So yeah, it would be nice if Cygwin were on a modern VCS. Personally, I'd like to see it on Fossil, since that has a built-in wiki and bug tracker. Plus, it's worlds simpler than Git, and its model matches that of the Cygwin development structure better.

It would *also* be nice if you scraped up some fortitude tried working with Cygwin as you find it, instead of putting preconditions on others before you can start contributing. It really is not that hard.

That is sad.

First world problem.