Re: Trouble with running cygwin dll on Vortex86MX+ CPU

On Mon, 7 Apr 2014, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 4/7/2014 5:09 PM, Colin wrote:

<snip>

Indeed.  And if your path under bash doesn't include /usr/bin, then I'll
wager your postinstall scripts didn't run or at least
completely/correctly.
See /etc/postinstall for the scripts.  If you aren't able to figure out
what didn't run properly, you can either try rerunning everything
manually
and looking for faults (if any) or just rerun setup.exe and hope that it
has better luck with the scripts the second time around.

Spot on, Larry. $PATH is empty.
I 'Reinstall'ed Cygwin, but the result is the same. I did take note of
setup complaining that there is a more recent version available according
to the ini file (2.774 vs 2.674) but I'm picking that isn't the problem.

I do find it interesting that the Cygwin Time Machine wouldn't have the
setup version and the archive in sync.  You'd have to check with that site
to understand why you're seeing that.

Geetings, Larry,

Some comments about this (sorry if this is off-tipic):

1) There used to be a directory to pull the snapshots, but that's been
   removed or otherwise made inaccessable a while ago, so archving the
   snapshots has been impossible for me.

2) Packaging changes of setup.exe have made extracting the version string
   impossible, save for actually running setup, which isn't something I'm
   going to do on a daily basis.  If there is a method of extracting this
   info from it, please do tell me how.

3) The format of setup.ini hasn't changed in any significant way that
   prevents newer versions of setup from working with older versions of
   the achive, and vise-versa, so it hasn't been worth doing regular
   achives of setup.  Mostly I tell people to grab the lastest setup and
   try it first.

   The exceptions are for the Legacy release (hard coded for -legacy)
   as well as the preview (-2) release, but that, again, was most about
   the name of the setup file and the initial release path names.
   So, there really hasn't been much incentive to archive setup.

   That being said, I do have a Legacy and a -2 setup versions available
   for those that need them, as well as some other older releases of
   setup, just in case.

   If someone can tell me how to extract the version id from setup.exe,
   I'll start archiving specific versions of it again.

/etc/postinstall contains the following "done" script files:
base-files-mketc.sh.done
base-files-profile.sh.done
bash.sh.done
coreutils.sh.done
cygwin-doc.sh.done
man.sh.done
passwd-grp.sh.done
terminfo.sh.done
terminfo0.sh.done
update-info-dir.sh.done

Is there something missing from that list? What's my next step? I haven't
yet tried running them manually, that will have to wait until tonight (gmt
+ 12).

That list seems a bit limited to me, unless you specifically asked for just
those packages to install.  Allowing setup to install a default installation
should get you several dozen packages I believe, in 1.5 days.  So I'd say
start there and check that.  If that doesn't help, check with the Cygwin
Time Machine site for help.

--
--=> Peter A. Castro
Email: doctor at fruitbat dot org / Peter dot Castro at oracle dot com