Re: Compiled executables requiring admin rights - different results between MinGW host type

On 2014-03-12 13:41, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
Our maintainers of the mingw-binutls and native binutils package just
have to update the packages to the latest from binutils git.  Actually,
that reminds me...

JonY, ping?  A couple of days ago, Nick Clifton updated binutils for
Windows so that every executable, which doesn't provide its own
manifest, will get a default manifest.
[snip]
So, if you have a bit of time, it would be nice to get new
mingw64-i686-binutils and mingw64-x86_64-binutils packages (as well
as a new Cygwin binutils, but cgf already knows about this).

Not to mention a new cygwin*-binutils for Cygwin and Fedora. cgf, are you carrying any patches on top of today's 2.24.51 snapshot?

Once all the PE-target binutils are updated, I can rip out all the manifest-generation code in cygport, right?

Every time a new Windows version is released, we will have to update the
default manifest in binutils, too, but that's the price we have to pay
for compatibility.  Sigh.

A mass rebuild every few years wouldn't hurt; I'd say we're actually overdue for one on x86.

Yaakov