Re: Testers needed: New passwd/group handling in Cygwin

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> I just created 400 groups in AD, and added myself as member.  An `id' on
> a 32 bit Windows 7 domain member machine in my tiny network consisting
> only of a handful of Windows VMs and with me as the only real user takes
> about 3.6 secs with the latest code from CVS, using a non-optimzed
> Cygwin DLL.

OK, so you do less than 200 lu/s even in that favorable case.  Our DC is
hit by some four figure number of clients I suppose.  I've asked my
colleague to check the lookup rate on our test web server and he also
gets around 30 lu/s with caching disabled, just like I did via Cygwin.
So the network speed isn't the limiting factor.

> With this patch applied, the aforementioned `id' now takes about 1.9
> secs, in an otherwise identical scenario.

Sounds interesting.

> With this patch applied as well, `id' now takes constantly 0.4 secs.

Gets even betterâ :-)

> Note that this speedup is only possible when fetching lots of group
> account information.  For user accounts we still need the info from AD,
> but apart from the getpwent functionality, which can be restricted via
> the db_enum setting in /etc/nsswitch.conf, there's not very often a good
> reason to fetch information for hundreds of user accounts.
>
> Anyway, if I send you the link to two DLLs with these patches, would you
> mind to test their speed in your environment?

Bring it on.  I'd need 32bit DLL since I have to keep the 64bit Cygwin
running on my machine.

Regards,
Achim.