Re: problem

On Feb 24 13:26, Cristi wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
>

> > On Feb 18 14:07, Brian Holley wrote:
> > > Under Win8.1, cygwin64 reports:
> > >
> > >       1 [main] scp 4648 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute
> > > FAST_CWD pointer.
> > >
> > > and asks for this to be reported.
> >
> > Are you using an older Cygwin version by any chance?  I'm using Windows
> > 8.1 daily and I haven't seen this message for a long time.  The patch to
> > avoid the message is from when 8.1 has gone Beta, as far as I remember.
> >
> > Corinna
> >

> I'm getting the same error (warning) on Windows 2008 and I still didn't find
> a way to avoid it. I'm sure I'm using the last version of Cygwin64. Maybe I
> should use an older version? Same install is working perfectly on Windows
> 2003 and Windows 7.

Sorry, but I can't reproduce this.  I've tested on a fully updated 2008
64 bit machine, with Cygwin 1.7.28, in 32 and 64 bit, and there's no
such message for me.

This is one of those problems which gets apparently introduced by some
hotfix which is not part of the normal update procedure, and I can't
change this code unless I can reproduce the problem.

If somebody can reproduce this on the existing Windows versions, and
this somebody feels not too repelled by plunging into assembler
debugging ntdll.dll, mainly the function RtlGetCurrentDirectory_U and
a subsequently called noname function, and compares what happens with
the Cygwin function find_fast_cwd_pointer() in path.cc, please feel
free to submit patches.

Btw., what OS version *exactly* are you encountering this problem?
Please send the output of `cygcheck -svr' as requested in
http://cygwin.com/problems.html.

Corinna

Red Hat