Newbie Alias and Profile questions

Can some one give me some hints about this ?

I read the documentation and can't figure this out.

I am trying to put an alias in a .bashrc

alias clear='printf "\033c"'

But what .bashrc do I put this in ? in /ect/skel or the one my user directory. I put this code in and it seems to get overwritten.
I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

It is a minor thing that i can't clear the screen, but i want to work at this and try to fix this.

Then I want to add a script to my profile. but what one the .profile or .bash_profile ?

Other that these problems, I am converting my Korn shell scripts to bash under Cygwin and it is going pretty good so far.