Re: Invoking Cygwin vim from Windows Explorer

Greetings, carolus!

>> Just create a shell link in your personal "Send To..." folder with specified
>> command. On Windows XP, it is in "%USERPROFILE%/SendTo". Dunno about other,
>> This way, even though a bit convoluted, allow you to edit ANY file with your
>> chosen program. Regardless of extension, and even in absence of it, as it is
>> the case for many traditional shell scripts.

>    On Windows 7, %USERPROFILE$ points to my user folder.  But I get an
> "access forbidden" message if I try to open the SendTo subdirectory from
> Explorer.

It's likely a symlink... Let me find my netbook.

It's in "%AppData%/Microsoft/Windows/SendTo"

> There is no option to right-click and elevate, and I get the
> same "access forbidden" message even if I switch to an administrator
> account. Strangely, I can open that directory from the command line, but
> the only way I know how to create a Windows link is by right-click
> drag&drop from the GUI.

Yeah. Just make a copy of default Cygwin shortcut in SendTo, and edit it's
command line to suit your needs.

>> Cygwin applications are (surprize!) windows executables

> But not "normal" executables in the sense that they run when you click
> on them from Explorer.

There's no more or less "normal" windows executables.

> Somehow you have to get into cmd.exe first.
No.

> And then you need to get the path and filename into vim.

As I said, you can just drop a file you want to edit over vim.exe and it'll
open it. In regular console, that's right, but it works.
If you want mintty instead of regular console, you gotta work for it a little
harder.

> This is getting too complicated for a nonprogrammer like myself.

> Probably the subject is best dropped.  It is more a Windows problem than
> a Cygwin one, and I have been getting by with the clumsy method for the
> last ten years.  I just thought there might be an easy fix. Thanks for
> the help.

One day, you ought to learn something to make your life easier. Why not start
today?

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...