Windows 7 64 Bit - Mounting Network Drives

O learned Denizens,

I'm best described as a feverish fumbler rather than some sort of expert. However, I have been around the block a few times but now I find myself feeling like a newbie again.

I've just realised that in my new place of employment, my Windows 7 64 Bit laptop isn't seeing the network drives under cygwin the way it used to "by magic" in my old place of employment.

I can mount them using, amazingly, the mount command - or make this "permanent" in the /etc/fstab file:

    H:   /cygdrive/h ntfs binary 0 0
    Z:   /cygdrive/z ntfs binary 0 0

I can test that it works:

    % mount
    C:/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
    C:/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
    C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
    H: on /cygdrive/h type unknown (binary)
    Z: on /cygdrive/z type unknown (binary)
    C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

...which is lovely, except that it doesn't work as advertised:

    % cd /cygdrive
    % ls

    %

Q1: Is there something else I need to do after mounting it?

Q2: Why doesn't it automatically mount the network drives?

I looked at the FAQs and googled and googled, all I got were repated descriptions of the mount command, having read all of them I am still missing something.

Thanks in advance,

Damian
CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this email communication is confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return email and destroy all copies of this communication, including all attachments.