Re: Please try newest snapshot (was Re: emacs-x11: new clipboard size limitation?)

Am 2013-12-03 22:10, schrieb Christopher Faylor:
On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 04:56:27PM +0000, Jon TURNEY wrote:
Tried bisecting through the X server versions for the past 6 months, and it
seems that this problem first appears in X server 1.14.3-2

(As an aside, it's probably relevant to the recent discussion, that I can't find the thread for, about how many previous versions we should keep around that it's not possible to do this bisection without 'Secret Knowledge' at the
moment)

This does contain a few clipboard changes, and in particular it changes the way the messages get processed so we will return to the select() more often (after each stage of the conversion operation), which it looks like it could
be incorrect sometimes, but I'd expect this to cause unneeded blocking
(waiting in select() for a message which has already been placed on the event
queue by XPending() rather than the observed behaviour.

Anyhow, I guess I need to look at this some more...

Talking about wndproc.c, it only checks iReturn for being < 0.  After
that, we don't really know which value it has, we only know that
FD_ISSET(iConnNumber, &fdsRead) returns 0. The value of iReturn should
be printed in the debug output at line 133.

It's 0 when I inspect it with the debugger, but yes, I'll change that.

What kind of object is the iConnNumber descriptor?  Pipe?  Fifo?
Socket?  /dev/windows?  We really need a simple testcase without the
X and emacs overhead...

It's a socket connected to the X server.

I added an ugly hack to work around this symptom in the latest cygwin.
It shouldn't have any big impact on anything but this particular
scenario but I would appreciate it if people downloaded today's snapshot
and verified that things are still working ok.

I plan on addressing the actual problem for Cygwin 1.7.28.

Hi,

the nightly snapshot does not seem to do me any good with regard to the clipboard problem. I performed the following test, and I hope this is what you had in mind:

- make sure all Cygwin processes have terminated
- rename /bin/cygwin1.dll to /bin/cygwin1.dll.backup
- copy the nightly snapshot of 2013-12-04 to /bin and rename it cygwin1.dll - rename /bin/XWin.exe (the test version mentioned by Jon) to /bin/XWin.exe.test - rename /bin/XWin.exe.backup (the stock version that came with my last update) to /bin/XWin.exe

A quick test shows that trying to copy approx. two printed pages worth of ASCII text from an Emacs buffer to LibreOffice Writer still triggers the clipboard failure.

If I revert the changes above, i.e. reactivate the stock cygwin1.dll (1.7.25) and Jon's XWin test version, the clipboard works again.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka