make execvp error

I've been using Cygwin (usually as an Administrator) for quite a few
years and was surprised to see this. I tried running make from a
non-admin shell and I got this error.

make: execvp: /bin/sh: Permission denied
make: execvp: /bin/sh: Permission denied
make: execvp: /bin/sh: Permission denied
make: execvp: /bin/sh: Permission denied
make: execvp: /bin/sh: Permission denied

I read this[1] and then I changed my /etc/fstab - closed *all* cygwin
processes, and started a new bash shell and checked my mount options.

$ mount
C:/cygwin/bin on /bin type ntfs (binary,cygexec)
C:/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,cygexec)
C:/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
C: on /c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,noumount,auto)

I still I have the same problem. When I tried a STC[2] (trivial), I
don't see a problem - so my env and setup seems to be okay. But my
project makefile doesn't work. Then I tried a different makefile - see
attached. Fails with these errors:

make: execvp: /bin/sh: Permission denied
Makefile:39: recipe for target 'submake' failed
make: [submake] Error 127 (ignored)

Reading the shell script faq[3] referred to from the first FAQ link,
doesn't help me debug further. Appreciate any pointers on how to go
about figuring what it is in my Makefile(s) that I need to fix. I
would certainly like to avoid doing everything from an UAC elevated
administrator shell.

On a similar note, I have hte same problem running git - I can't do
much without the administrator shell. Are these related?

Thanks,
Balaji

[1] http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.programming.make-execvp

[2] echo -e 'all:\n\ttouch $@' > m.mk